About John Robb
I’m John Robb, an author, an entrepreneur, inventor and a former USAF pilot in special operations.
Welcome to HomeFree!
Who am I? Here I am, delivering a keynote at the Maker World Faire (New York City, 2012)
Here’s some more about me, in no particular order of importance:
Here is my CV (reading it has been known to induce narcolepsy in healthy adults):
John has lived, worked, and traveled extensively in Central/South America, Africa, Asia, and Europe.
John has been quoted as an expert analytical source in newspapers such as the New York Times, The Economist, and the Wall Street Journal and has been interviewed on the BBC, Fox, NPR, PRI, and CNBC (as well as many independent radio shows).
John’s work experience includes:
- Department of Defense Counter-terrorism. John participated in global operations as a mission commander, pilot, and mission planner in a Tier One unit that worked with Delta Force and Seal Team 6. Numerous medals for exemplary service.
- World recognized technology analyst. John led the move to cover Internet technologies at Forrester Research in 1995. His research provided many of the company’s top ideas and his service generated $5 m in revenue during his first year. Every Internet company that launched during those early years met with John.
- Entrepreneur. John cofounded and was the President/COO of a company that recently (2009) sold for $295 million. While at the company, he grew it from $0 to a $45 million a year in revenue (the run rate of the last quarter John worked there) and 135 people. The company is a now a global leader in financial performance testing with customers such as Fidelity, JP Morgan, and Merrill Lynch. John also ran a company that was the pioneer in weblogs, the originator of RSS (both technologies are remaking the publishing industry) and shipped the first RSS aggregator. His guerrilla marketing efforts (helped cut a deal with the NYTimes to get them to use RSS and connect the NYTimes to blogging) brought these technologies from the hobbyist market and into the mainstream.
- Building Complex Systems. John has managed large software projects from conceptualization to design to development to launch and finally to sales. These projects include a) a global performance testing system for the financial sector (54 cities on 6 continents across 23 Internet backbones), b) a consumer focused Web site in financial services that generated in excess of $2 m a quarter in revenue, c) one of the first blog publishing systems and the first RSS aggregator, d) a globally decentralized professional print system (24 cities across the globe).
John’s education includes:
- Masters of Public and Private Management, Yale University, New Haven CT (commendation for excellence)
- Bachelor of Science in Astronautical Engineering, The United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs CO (honors program)
Other than the AF Academy, the government spent over $2.5 million training John.
- Undergraduate Pilot Training, The United States Air Force, Reese Air Force Base, Lubbock TX
- SERE school. Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape.
- Squadron Officer’s School. Mid-level manager training.
- Advanced transport pilot training.
- Advanced low-level night flight training (night vision goggles).
- Advanced interrogation resistance training.
- Terrorism survival course (including advanced driving techniques).
- Covert and clandestine mission training.
- Free-fall parachute training.
- Advanced training in multiple aircraft.
Other licenses and awards:
Best and Brightest (Esquire 2007)
Airline Transport Pilot’s License, FAA
Eagle Scout, BSA
Webby Award 2000